zhinesade's surreal world

everything about nothing

Friday, October 08, 2004

What's so wrong about being normal?

There's a dilemma and I think I know how to fix it.

See, the dilemma is in my head. It started like a tiny air bubble in my brain. Now, there's total chaos as the idea seems to be boiling and overflowing.

It seems everyone nowadays wants to be ABnormal. I mean, some wear the name BITCH with pride. Every other girl's blog I visit has the subtitle with something along the lines of 'crazy','sexy','cool' (yeah, yeah, it's a song, but I wanna use, so lay off). Something that just five years ago would have been hurled as an insult. Now it's common language?!?

Calm down.

Okay, okay, I'm calming down.

It's just weird. When I started acting like the bitch that I was (still am), it was unacceptable. People practically shun you for being so. For thinking liberally. For doing things that, in the Philippine society, 'only men do'. NO, I said. What men can do, women can do (sometimes, even better). Now, there's a ton of people claiming to feel/think/be the same way. Initially, I think that's a good thing. But then, where does that leave me?

It leaves me in the NORMAL category. (disdain the sound of that word, ech!)

It actually makes me feel ....complacent. I mean, there are others who can help change the way society thinks. But, then again, it makes me feel...hmmm...i dunno...NORMAL.

Potah!

I'm normal!
I'm normal?
I'm normal.

You don't know how eerily happy that makes me feel.

So now, I know that there are still a lot of people out there who are not vocal, and who still think in old-fashioned-culture -- i.e. woman stays at home, wait for the man to do all things fun, and then just bear kids -- but then, there are also folks like me (and you, probably, if you are a friend, or are someone who likes reading what I write haha) who think all is fair in love and gender.

So, what's wrong about being normal?

Nothing.

Whew.

Except I need to not be tied down to today's definition of a bitch...or a psycho, or a delusional overanalyzer, or perrenial kontrabida-cun-chuvalu.

Now having a definition for what I am, that would be wrong.

Totally wrong.

But don't think anyone will ever figure that one out.

Good. Whew.