zhinesade's surreal world

everything about nothing

Wednesday, July 13, 2005

Thinking For Real

What about tomorrow?

Note: Political post, so you might wanna head out the door now if you are adamant about a particular view...or continue at your own risk.

With all the hullabaloo going on in the streets, I need to wake up from my surreality. For just a tad bit.

Here goes.

GMA's not a saint. We all know that. She's no angel either. Press conferences or not, we know she's a sassy lady. But neither will the next president be, if GMA's overthrown.

No one's perfect. Especially in the government. No exceptions. Someone prove me wrong if you can. Please.

I was in 7th grade when I had my first brush with politics. We interviewed a then-guerilla leader. He was articulate, honest, and very open. He had ideals, and wanted to create them as reality for the Philippines. Yet, at the time, he was being hunted down, presumably because the government thought his ideas were way too radical for their conservative and money-making schemes. I adored him. Wished I could be just like him.

Fast forward to 7 years later, and this guy is now friends with the government. More than being taken back by the people, he is now one of those "heroes" that pet people idolized. It helped much that this person was "maka-masa" and he was well-known (had his name in the history books, I know). I cheered him on. Good for him, I thought.

Three years down the road, and with the Erap impeachment issue, I was taken aback by his new allegiance. He was pro-Erap. Back and forth the thought played in my mind and I couldn't seem to figure out what good that did him and his ideals. And then someone said some other officials had him on a chain because they knew of things he'd done that they could bribe his loyalty with.

My belief in the government sank. This same person, who helped instill in me a sense of country, was now one of those who was part of destroying it.

So maybe I'm a little mroe skeptic of the government today, a little less trusting, a little more suspicious. But I just have to believe that there are still people out there trying to right what they can. That there are people seated high up in the chain who want to make a difference.

No, I didn't vote. But, yes, I wanted to. I was out of the country, but if I had a chance, I would've voted for Roco. That's the past now though, isn't it? And we have a very capable president in my opinion. Okay, so maybe she cheated. So the others didn't? They were all clean? If they became president today, could they assure people that they could control and help the Philippines' image and economy in a day more than the current president could? Do these rallies really help solve anything? Why did this issue come out with the current president and not with past presidents? COuld it be because she was trying to do something good and stepped on those itty-bitty toes of other money-hungry politicians.

I don't even know what my own point is. I think the presiden't admission and asking for forgiveness is something we should accept. Bring her down now, and you have no assurance that anything good will come out of it. There's a chance it could get better. But there's also a chance that it could get worse. Much worse.

I guess when it comes to a fragile economy, I'm conservative. It doesn't bode well for us right now. It's a tight race between the people who want her to step down and the people who want to give her a chance. We all know much worse sins have been committed in the government. And they escaped. If you don't know this, then maybe you should do a little more reading before marching down the streets. If you wanna have a say, it's not enough that you're a Filipino. You should be an informed Filipino. And the last time I checked, being informed wasn't a rich-poor thing.

I have to believe things will get better somehow.

Surreality is so much more fun than this. Back to my world.