zhinesade's surreal world

everything about nothing

Friday, January 21, 2005

Highs and Lows

I have a couple of minutes (yet again) to meander.... and please allow me to soak in a little self-honeying (is there such a term? wahahaha).

HIGH: I have successfully renewed my license, complete with a new picture that's less mataray than the last one. I think I can actually attribute it to the less hassle this time around for renewing it. Kudos to the LTO folks at Kapitolyo! Mabuhay.

LOW: I've gotten into the habit of chatting up cab drivers when I ride cabs. It gives me a feeling of ease, and an honest feeling reminiscent of pagmemeron way back in college. But everytime they find out I was in the States, they marvel at how I still love the Philippines and love coming back here. I could work here forever, I don't need to go overseas, I always tell them. They give me all these status quo hardships and downcast forebodings of life in the Philippines. It's just sad that people have become so disillusioned that they expect less of the Philippines. I always end up telling them, 'Just because we're Filipinos doesn't mean we should expect less.' Some of them understand and nod, while some smile and sigh.

HIGH: I printed out and asked some friends to proofread and give me critiques of my manuscript (Working Title: Recently Single), and most feedback I got was positive. Hopefully the next publisher (yes, NEXT...read the next low to find out why) sees it the same way too.

LOW: I submitted by manuscript to a premier publishing house for literary works here in the Philippines. After a week, I called them to follow-up on the verdict of my manuscript. The head of the editorial staff talked to me and told me that it wasn't part of the genre they were publishing for 2006. IN short, I was turned down. The bit of good news came when he said that he had showed a few pages of the manuscript to another publication and they suggested I submit it there. I'll have it submitted there before I leave Manila. Hopefully, these people think my manuscript is sellable. Sigh.

I'm leaving for the US tomorrow. Woohooo. My body is sore from playing badminton yesterday, though. Hahaha. I was also ablt to go to Tagaytay and eat at the famous Josephine's resto, overlooking that nice little volcano Filipinos are so proud of. Hehehe. I need to leave this place and go home soon. I haven't started on my packing yet.

Darn. Time flies when you're having fun.