zhinesade's surreal world

everything about nothing

Wednesday, August 10, 2005

A break from Belle de Jour


<-- Trying out the B&W parameter setting on the new gadget.

Twas a very gray day when the photo was taken. Lugubrious, really. But we made do in Bataan, and had much-deserved R&R time, complete with a lot of sleeping food, laughs, and drinks (can't forget the drinks, no sirree), and someone won her first bowling match after 2 years of non-play. F really did it (the pseudo-partner who won it for us against X and J). Maybe going back to bowling won't be so bad after all. Ooh, must mention too, that Guesstures was played, and mine team won two out of two. Go M! Go R! And someone said 'It's so hard when dead brain cells die'. Umm, too much alcohol does that haha. And someone got drunk for the first time in his life too --- M! That was R and C's doing. Congratulations, and welcome to the world of the confident and cool, Mr-I-will-sing-if-you-hold-the-mic-in-my-face. Haha. Kidding! The outing was precious. Some other secrets, I can't say here, or my teammates will most likely disown me or...laugh. Haha. Good bunch of people, they are.

Also, done with Harry Potter (sad and wonderful at the same time) and Persuasion(Jane Austen's best, methinks). Currently reading Belle de Jour's book (see right side of this page for her blog link). However, a word to the wise, don't go there (or buy the book) if you're a little conservative. Even I (who think I am an uberly-cerebral woman of the times) had to steer my eyes away from the book in some parts as some descriptions were waaaay to visual and, er, obnoxious for studied taste. However, it is her life, her book, and my choice. So I continue to read. And pause. And read again.

By the by, noticed some rather common blogger expressions that one would never hear in mainstream chitchat such as "whoopee", "uber", "crikes", etc. Maybe such words indeed add to the feeling of the reader, or the writer is just trying to mask how they really think/talk. Hmm (my mind reviews use of "uber" in this and other entries). Sucka. Haha.

Also, encountered the word MELLIFLUOUS somewhere last week. Can't get it out of my mind, so I finally DICTIONARY-DOT-COMmed it. "Flowing with sweetness and honey" it said. Ah, very apropos to present demeanor.

In other news, badminton is still alive, the band is doing well (auds this Sat, yegads!), and I've been invited to come party with a couple of newly-acquainted office cohorts this coming weekend. I am enthused and game. Another chance to tinker with the cam, no?

PS. If there's one thing I love about reading Belle de Jour, it's the straightforward London candor with which she speaks to my mind. Something I only dream of being able to succefully do (and venture trying only when extremely inebriated). Kisses to P who gave me the book as gift! Also got free coffee from 3 diff people, a free ride home, and fun times with some really funny people in the past days. I am much-obliged. I am a lucky one, yes I am.