zhinesade's surreal world

everything about nothing

Tuesday, July 13, 2004

Photo Cheat

So I'm not the biggest expert at photography (yet hahaha), but this guy(owner, I presumed) in a store in Orlando (corner Sand Lake Rd) sold some tourists a digital camera that he said was 6 million pixels. In my head, I think '6 million pixels??? Does that mean the memory card's total amount of pixels available for use or what??? Maybe he meant megapixels.' But then, I had never heard of 6-megapixel cameras selling for 199 dollars (a sale from the normal 350 dollars cost, he said...I later looked it up, and there were indeed 6-megapixel cameras, but not this brand). The folks, father and daughter took the bait and bought it. I remember that I saw them looking at the box briefly. In my head, I thought maybe the guy was telling the truth. But something seemed fishy.
I commented on the quick sell and the owner, being all chatty, told me about the good deal. He said the 6 million pixels had very high quality. And then he commented that he looked at the pictures I took (I was in the place to have pics transferred from my digicam to a CD) and said they were 'OK' quality. Then, he asked me how many 'million pixels' my camera was. 3.2, I said, again correcting him in my head, but trying to act polite. He rambled about what much better quality the camera he was selling had, etc, etc. But I looked disinterestedly at him, and maybe a little disgustedly (hey, the guy had the Razor Ramon hair, but had a very ghetto-looking face, and a hawaiian shirt on) and he moved on to the next customer, as the other sales guy was figuring out what was wrong because he couldn't successfully copy my pics to the CD.
Anyway, as the man walked away, I asked this other sales guy to see the box that the camera they were selling came in. Sure, he said. I looked at the camera, and it said 3.0 megapixels.
WHAAAAATTTTTTT!!!!!!!! Those folks were cheated. And the camera wasn't even from a known brand.
And so I started getting pissed for the father-daughter combo, and then Mr. Razor Ramon faker came back over and commented to the other sales guy that it was not his laptop that was broken (yes, they were using a laptop that was actually for sale to copy my pics into a CD), but my memory card. I could feel my ears heating up. Mustering my last sense of decency, I politely asked the other guy if I could take a look at it. After they spent almost an hour trying to copy the pics over, it took me all of 10 mins to do it. And I paid them 19.99 for it.
Photo Cheat.

And so many people think these things only happen in Manila.

They might have more spending power than us, and speak english more clearly than us, but values are values and an honest day's work is an honest day's work, wherever you go. A camera is a camera, and a lying cheat is a lying cheat.

Pictures never lie, mostly, whether they're 2 megapixels or 6. People do. But then, again, as photographers say, it's all a matter of perspective.