zhinesade's surreal world

everything about nothing

Wednesday, August 18, 2004

Lake of Bays

Okay, okay.

So I went to Canada for one long week. Actually, I was only there 7 days, because the 7th and 8th of August were spent camping (but that's a story for later, you lil grasshopper, you).

To sum everything up in 1 word, the place was uneventful. But in a good way, mind. As I said in temporary-ciao-to-blogerati post, no tv's, no radio, no i-net connection. But there were lots of relaxing things to do.

Not relaxing as in summer beach kind, (get wax, check. hurry to beach, check. flaunt body, check. strain eyes to lookf or cutesies, check). Nope, not that kind. Relaxing in the live-in-the-moment-no-lists-no-tasks-no-time kind. It was me, me, and me.

I mean, boyfriend was there, of course. It was, after all, his family's cottage. Aside: It could not even be called a home away from home, because it looked and felt like home (it's injustice to the phrase, oh well). And boyfriend's family was wonderful. Mom, dad, bro, aunt, neighbors, all were very amusing. In the way that people-watching is amusing. Made me mutter "in-tuh-rres-teeng" more 'n once. Anywho, so stuff I did can be summarized in the following:

Reading -- Read Vince Flynn's book entitled "Memorial Day". Highly recommended. Esp. for Republicans. But even for ones not, it's still quite entertaining. Or maybe I thought it was because most of the stuff was staged in DC, a stone's throw away from tillneehoo-doo-me.

Star-gazing -- did this for 2 nights. The first time, there was supposed to be a meteor shower. And so we watched. I saw 7. Me thinks we might have just caught the end-tail of the bath because we waited a long time, but no shower. The night sky was the clearest I've ever seen it in my entire life, though. One for the books, might say. Date was 12th then. Second time, skies were not as clear as before, but very interesting, as we discovered a book in the house -- Astronomy for Dummies -- whatahoot. hahaha. Tried it in the dark balcony, looking up, with a flashlight and binoculars (very little help this did ho-hum). Cool, though. Reclinable porch chairs. Gotta love 'em.

Gin -- not the drink, silly, the card game. Yours truly actually accomplished something here. Got the boyfriend to learn gin. Fun, fun, fun.

Sorry -- game, not the act of saying. Got called the Evil Empress by boyfriend and borther (and mom and aunt later on in the week) in the midst of playing. I think I might've been too good. Haha. Oh well, can't help it if I'm good at sending people back home cryin' :P (ooh, touchy, touchy).

Big Breakfast -- always had bacon and eggs, and was introduced to malt toast with butter (pronounce buhh-tuhhhh). Spectacular. On my last day, I was treated to french toast and crumpets. Very filling.

Lunch and dinner -- always felt like it came straight from a magazine.

Yahtzee -- Learned it. Played it. Won it. Slamdunk!

Playing with dogs -- boyfriend's family's dogs (there's 2 of them) were so cute. they absolutely loved going to swim in the lake. They would dive in after the tennis balls in the lake, swim back with the balls in-mouth, and give em right back to you. That was fun.

Lakestuff -- okay, so boyfriend tricked me into getting in lake water. Said it was clean (mind, looked clean), and warm. It was freezing! And bottom was covered in what I wish was mildew and not dead skin cells (refer to previous post on 'dead skin cells'). We also used kayaks and went to end of their side of the lake which was quite a ways, actually. Picture-taking, of course. Will try to update portfolio links with those.

Biking to beachfront, driving to town, seeing boyfriend's childhood secret fort (yep, it was still alive), running after chipmunk (another first), and

Shuffleboard and billiards -- in the game room. Won some, lost some. But the playing was fun. "Full-contact sport," joked boyfriend's uncle.

All in all, lots of fun, but as I said, uneventful, EVENT meaning something big or planned or anticipated fun.

Oh, and I also got to go to the top (well, sky pod, not "top" top) of the CN tower, supposedly one of the 10 tallest buildings int he world. But I guess that's a diff story.

Ctrl-Alt-Dlt.

Back to regular programming.