zhinesade's surreal world

everything about nothing

Thursday, July 22, 2004

Arguments and Fights

"I dunno. Let's stop this conversation right here," Guy says. "I've have had more fights with you than with any other girlfriend I've had," he said to Girl, who was sitting beside him on the metro. 

Now, a normal observer might agree with Guy. But I don't. I think they were arguing at best, disagreeing at worst. Not fighting.

They weren't speaking in elevated tones, their faces were not registering anger, and neither one was even gesticulating.

Now, I've had my fair share of arguments and fights with ex-boyfriends, friends, and family.
And the way I see it, arguments are non-emotional (logical) arguments put forth as facts and/or reasons by either side with the intention of persuasion of the other party. Fights, on the other hand are always more emotionally driven, and meant to persuade the other party, not always by reason, but by emotion, in an attempt to gain power (i.e. "Who won the fight?") over the other.

Arguments can lead to win-win solutions and/or reasonable ends, but fights, mostly just lead to hurt or resentment by one --- if not both--- parties. Most younger people fight, because emotions are misconstrued for convictions. And adults argue, because they actually want to get the facts straight. (Aside: Now don't get all technical with me, because I know you might point out that some adults act more immaturely than teens . But you know what I mean).

So what am I saying? Nothing, I guess. Now, alt-tab your way out of this post because if you disagreed with what I said, I'm sure you didn't understand my point. And that's fine.

Really.