zhinesade's surreal world

everything about nothing

Tuesday, September 07, 2004

New York in Shades

Just as a prelude, yes, you are allowed to laugh at me.

Some coworkers and I decided to go up to NY for the Labor Day long weekend. We planned it a week in advance and booked the bus tickets. It was a long stretch for me because of my fear of dead skin cells on such a long trip (see here if you haven't read it yet). I still said yes and hoped for a fabulous road trip (Who was I kidding? haha. It was a public bus).

BUT. On Sunday night before the trip, one of those freakish things happened. I scratched the inside of the lower lid of my right eye with my nail. Yes, I had grown my nails, and while dreaming in fairytale land, I did the unthinkable. Which made me wake up and cower in pain. But, I thought it was okay since I went to the bathroom and checked and no visible scarring appeared.

Stupid me.

Thursday morning came and my right lower lid was swelling. Made an appointment to see the doctor, and he gave me antibiotics. He said it should be better by Sat night. Good, I thought to myself, 'Just in time to go out clubbing'.

Engk!

Friday, the swelling was worse, and a bulge appeared on the lower lid. I'll spare you the details. However, I will say this, I had to wear shades to the office on both Thursday and Friday. And when we boarded the bus, yes, I still had the shades on. Even when we arrived in Chinatown in NY at around midnight, I still donned them.

Laughable.

Saturday, the swelling got worse, so I stayed at my friend's pad while everyone else went touring. Happy happy joy joy. Not.

At least I got to watch Cinema Paradiso(classic!) and Secretary(naughty!). And then, Sunday. And I just HAD to do some fall/winter shopping. And so I braved the world with my shades. And you think shades don't make a difference. They do. Hahaha. It made me look at the shoes/clothes more carefully, because I wanted to be sure my half-opened right eye saw everything there was to see (Aside: So, do Chinese people have the same visibility range as big-eyed people? Apparently so.), stitches, snags, and all.

By Monday morning, the swelling had gone down a bit. but was still obviously there. My on-going fight with morning-glory (haha, wag nang pa-echos, MUTA yan :P) was still on, as my right eye was watering throughout the nights (due to the infection? I can only assume). But the day wore on, and my sunglasses were my allies (was? or where? this always troubles me in sentence use).

Anyway, so I was able to endure the long weekend, was back home by 9pm Monday night, shades and all.

Today, am back at work, with my trustworthy shades. New York was fabulous -- Central Park, Serendipity, Gray's Papaya, etc. And my shades are fine, thank you for asking :D

Aside: If you're ever in NY, and are the kind of shopper that looks at price versus brand name, I recommend CONWAY! Woohoo. However, make sure that you know your size before you start a-shopping, as they have no fitting rooms. Got a pair of work shoes there for 3.99. My shades and I both agree that it's awesome (even the lovey agreed)! Also, if you're ever at Gray's Papaya (72nd St), they have the best franks ever, and the Pinoy cashier/waiter is the nicest ever! He gave us pineapple juice with the franks, even though the promo clearly stated he couldn't! Aww, pinoys rule!