zhinesade's surreal world

everything about nothing

Monday, October 25, 2004

Firsts in NC

I headed to North Carolina this past weekend with the boyfriend to meet up with his family to watch the youngest bro's last rugby game this season. It was a 5 1/2-hour road trip, but well worth it. Saturday turned out to be a day of firsts.

It was my first time to see a college campus. I had seen some campuses on the TV, but seeing it with my own eyes was very different. Especially in autumn. Wake Forest has a very nice campus, not to mention that they educate lots of pretty girls. Woohoohoo. The tomboy in me was definitely impressed mwahahahaha. The campus made me feel like I was back in college for a while, especially since I look young enough (to Amerians, mind you) to be one ;D

It was also the first time I watched people play rugby. Nasty (very nasty) game. Now I don't wonder how the bf broke his ribs in a game while he was in college. The youngest brother was co-captain, and seemed popular with everyone. People recognized him when he had the ball, and cheered him on. I guess the orange hair helped too hahaha. Anyway, they won...24-19. Barely. And not without injury. But, hurrah, still. And, if you're wondering, yes it was me, the bf, his other brother, and parents watching. It was actually very cool. I never experienced having my family around for a competition. It impressed me to no end that the whole family was there, cheering him on, and he didn't seem embarrassed (unlike most college boys who detest having their family attend their extra-curricular activities).

The day went on, I took some autumn pictures, formal dinner with all, and then we separated. Me, the bf, and the other brother went with the youngest to hang out in his apartment, while the parents went retired to the hotel. But the youngest had a homecoming dance to go to, and we planned for the three of us to just stay in the apartment after he left with his roommates and date. Drinks were poured, and before we knew it, we were talked into going to their homecoming dance. I was amazed. They felt we were cool enough to hang out with them!?! 28, 25, and 25 were our ages, but we went anyway. And we not only drank there, we danced too. Ha. HA! Never mind that other folks kept looking at us like we were gatecrashers. The youngest introduced us to everyone as (his older brothers and his brother's gf) his guests. His friends also hung out with us, so no one felt uncomfortable. It ranks as one of the best times I've had partying in the US, for sure. So, yeah, I also attended my first homecoming dance.

I felt like I was in my own version of Seventh Heaven with these people. Their parents must have done something right for them to turn out this way. I learned a lesson or two that day about the word 'siblings' and the reality of 'family'.



The trip home was a little surreal just because the whole weekend seemed like a dream over too quickly. But I woke up and the boyfriend was still holding my hand, and all was good. Plus, there's still Thanksgiving.

Wu-tu-tu!